Thursday, December 05, 2013

Showcase - Chaos Space Marine Dark Apostle

As a bonus post for the day I thought I would put up another one of those miniatures that's just hanging about in the battle bunker (that's the nickname given to my hobby room in case you hadn't guessed).
Again this was done for a painting contest with the theme of Heroes in the Peterborough Games Workshop store (my local one) and features a couple of minor conversions.


The first of the minor conversions is the Chaos wheel coming from the backpack (the original was an open Chaos iron halo but this rather suffered from being made of finecast resin and was totally  deformed, miscast and useless) this was adapted from an old Chaos Space Marine (CSM) Khornite banner top.


The second conversion was his weapon I thought the original seemed a little weak given the quite dynamic pose, so I changed it for one from a Chaos Terminator Lord.
Overall it was a really fun miniature to paint I loved doing all those fiddly scrolls and the additional detailing for the base which was made from Hirst Arts industrial flooring mould with scratch built shotgun shells and an additional book made to look like the infantryman's uplifting primer to finish it off for me.


The judges of the competition however did not feel the love for this one, and it did not win
 but such are the winds of fate and if I won every time I entered I would not feel the urge to have to improve my painting skills.
I on the other hand still love this miniature so thought I would share it with you.

Additionally my good lady wife, also entered this particular contest too, and even as a novice painter (she refers to herself as such having only been painting a few months). and like me did not win but I thought I would share with you what she came up with, having just learned the wondrous effects you can achieve with drybrushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment