Friday, June 12, 2015

Top Tip - Recipe Cards

Today I'm gonna share with you one of the techniques I use to achieve consistency across a given force (the one shown is the photos is my Space Wolves but that's just as the photo has a perfect demonstration in it).

We all know that painting a reasonable size army is not only a labour of love but also very time consuming meaning a force can often take years to finish (especially with rule changes and changes to force distribution and 'new stuff' to include) that being the case how do you paint something the same way as you did that miniature you painted two years ago?

Most of us are blessed with the ability to just about remember how it was done and with a bit of trial and error can do a reasonable copy of the original. My method removes the trial and error part and allows you to focus on the fun part the actual painting.

I call it the Recipe Card  (wonders if he should try and trademark this as its so simple)............

The concept is so simple simply take a small piece of white card (blank business cards or the back of ones you never really wanted are ideal for this)
and record step by step the method you have used to achieve a specific technique so you can refer to it much later.

They say a picture paints a thousand words so here's one to help explain it ......

So what we have here is a WIP photo of my rather retro white metal scout marines after their very basic Fenris makeover.

I however, being ex-military find that I expect scouts to be in some way stealthy. So I decided mine would be wearing at least some DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) or camouflage clothing (I know its kinda pointless when you are going to strap blue/grey with red and yellow armour on the top but don't spoil my fantasy), I worked from what I knew and attempted to create mine based on the now retired British Military Combat Soldier '95 pattern kit.

In order that I can reproduce this technique I created the card at the right hand edge of the picture which (starting from the top working down) shows, step by step (with colour name and if necessary mixing ratios and any other relevant notes) what colour is applied with a visible piece showing how the colour is applied in each step.

Basically if I decide to add more scouts a few years from now, I can refer to this card and using the steps I have already worked out just get straight on with painting without worrying about it matching my existing force.

Hope this Top Tip is of use to people out there - happy painting everyone & feel free to share your own tips and tricks in the comments below


No comments:

Post a Comment